In the early 1950s, the teepee at Girl Scouts’ Camp Woodlands was conceived and built by a team of volunteers that included the Anne Arundel County Girl Scouts Council, the Naval Academy Math Department, and numerous Girl Scouts and their families.
For young architect Charles Lamb, just out of college and working at a new architectural firm later to be known as RTKL, it was a family affair. By 1950, both of his parents, Reginald C. and Ruby M. Lamb, were serving on the Camp Council, and his mother, who was the current Commissioner, broached with him the idea of donating his abilities. Sadly, neither parent survived long enough to see the teepee through to its completion, nor did they see their son receive the 1954 AIA Certificate of Merit for its design. In recognition of his parent’s contributions to the Girl Scouts they went on to name the building after them at its dedication ceremony in May 1954. Click the lamblodge.org button below to read the full story.
Inspiration for the conical, circular design was taken from the Girl Scout custom of grace before meals, and taps in the evening. At those times they’d gather in a circle, holding hands and singing. The central fireplace offered 360 degrees of visibility.
The challenge of building a lodge to accommodate 100 Girl Scouts at the dawn of the Baby Boom with volunteer manpower and limited funds netted a result that exceeded expectations. And now, almost sixty years later, it is poised to be included in the National Registry of Historic Places.
Please help the Girl Scouts of Central Maryland and Charles E. Lamb restore the tepee (Lamb Lodge) to its original splendor. Click below to make an online donation to support Lamb Lodge or contact Pattie Dash at email@example.com for more information on how you can help.