Q: How can I be sure that Girl Scouting is a good match with our family’s values, heritage or traditions?
A: The Girl Scout mission – building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place — guided by the Girl Scout Promise and Law is what defines the Girl Scout Movement. The Girl Scout Law clearly spells out our values: honesty, fairness, friendship, consideration, caring for others, courage, strength, responsibility, and respect, both for oneself and for authority. We regard these values, as we have for nearly a century, as a solid basis for a life of leadership, integrity, and service. Girl Scouts have always had a deep and very longstanding commitment to inclusiveness. We welcome and embrace girls of every race, ethnicity, level of ability and religion.

Q: How can my girl become a Girl Scout member?
A:Register as a Girl Scout by contacting Jennifer Gibbs at jgibbs@gscm.org or 410.358.9711.

Q: How old do you have to be to become a Girl Scout
Girls can register as Girl Scouts from Kindergarten though 12th Grade. Adults working with girls can join as well.

Q: Can my girl become a Girl Scout without being part of a troop?
A: There are many ways girls can take part in Girl Scouting. Depending on their free time and interests, they can register individually, for camp, as part of an interest group, or join a troop. If a girl registers individually, she may want to take part in one or two group events, like camp or a council-wide event.

Q: How do I register my girl and find a troop if we are new to the area?
A: Register with Girl Scouts of Central Maryland by contacting Jennifer Gibbs at jgibbs@gscm.org or 410.358.9711. You will then be notified about troop openings in your area or placed on the troop waiting list.

Q: How do I apply for financial assistance?
A: Need-based financial assistance is available to all registered Girl Scouts. The Financial Assistance Application can be obtained from the resources section of our website or from the Volunteer Resource Center at vrc@gscm.org.


Q: Does my Girl Scout need books?
A: Girl Scouts recommends having books because they were designed to enhance the experience—a lot of the information needed to participate fully is included in the books.

Q: Where can I get the books?
A: You can buy books and awards books at the GSCM Store. Sometimes, groups use their funds to purchase books for members, or girls who have moved up in grade-level pass their books down to younger members. Ask your local library if they have copies on hand that can be checked out.

Q: Do I have to buy a uniform for my Girl Scout?
A: The GSUSA National Board updated the Girl Scout uniform policy as of October 2008 to reflect the changing needs of our members and transformation of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience. Girl Scouts at each level have one required element (Tunic, Sash or Vest) for the display of official pins and awards, which will be required when girls participate in ceremonies or officially represent the Girl Scout Movement.

For girls in grades Kindergarten through 12th, the unifying look includes wearing a choice of a tunic, vest, sash with their own solid white shirts and khaki pants or skirts. Girl Scouts in high school can also wear a scarf that unites their look with the sisterhood of Girl Scouts around the world. For adult members the uniform is a Girl Scout official scarf, or tie for men, worn with the official membership pins, combined with their own navy blue business attire. Girl Scouts at the Daisy and Brownie levels will continue to have a full uniform ensemble available.

Q:Where do I place pins and badges on the uniform?
A: Check out this resource from Girl Scouts of the USA: Where to Place Insignia in Girl Scout Central . A couple of hints:

  • Some insignia come in iron-on format, but not all. Check and see before you iron them—non-iron-on awards will melt if they are ironed.
  • The insignia tab is a great tool. Membership pins can be placed onto it and then be removed easily when the uniform needs to be cleaned.

Q: Where do I buy uniform pieces?
A: You can purchase uniform pieces through the GSCM Store.

Q: Does my Girl Scout have to sell cookies?
A: Individual participation in this Girl Scout program activity is voluntary, however it is council policy that troops must participate in the Girl Scout Cookie Program to be eligible to participate in other money-earning activities. Girls gain life skills such as teamwork, money management, and entrepreneurship through the Cookie Program. This activity also provides Girl Scout councils with revenue to support Girl Scouting in local communities, including a portion that goes back to the Girl Scout troop/group selling the cookies.

Q: What role do I have in Girl Scout Cookie activities?
A: A parent/guardian can help her/his girl by:

  • Giving permission for her to sell Girl Scout Cookies.
  • Attending the cookie activity training for her troop/group.
  • Helping her set and meet her personal goal(s) and her groups’ goals.
  • Helping her observe all safety rules and guidelines outlined in materials sent home by the local Girl Scout council.
  • Helping her understand that you will be working with her in a supportive role; adults, however, should not assume sole responsibility for selling cookies.
  • Helping to network with colleagues so that she can contact co-workers and family members to purchase cookies.
  • Providing transportation to cookie events or special sales areas, like those at the mall or outside a grocery store.
  • Providing a safe place for the money collected, as well as frequent drop-offs of money to the cookie manager.
  • Paying for any cookies eaten at home.
  • Supporting the national Girl Scout policy that Girl Scout Cookies may not be sold on the Internet by anyone at any time.

Q: Where does the money earned from Girl Scout Cookie sales go?
A:The best way to understand where the money goes is by picturing a cookie. A piece of the cookie goes to pay the baker for making the product. Another piece goes to the local Girl Scout council to support Girl Scouts in its area, and a third piece goes directly to the group selling the cookies.


Q: How can I register my girl for Girl Scout camp?
A: Check out our Camp pages for information about our current camp offerings and how to register. If you need further assistance, contact Connie Adams at cadams@gscm.org.

Q: Are your camps ACA Accredited?
A: Camp Conowingo’s summer resident camp is accredited by the American Camping Association (ACA). Every three years the camps undergo a thorough review by outside camping professionals. We also adhere to Maryland Youth Camp regulations.

Our other three camp properties (Camp Whippoorwill, Camp Woodlands and Camp Ilchester) are inspected by their local county jurisdictions and have all necessary permits for yearly operations.

Q: Is there financial assistance for camp?
A:Need-based financial assistance is available to all registered Girl Scouts. The Financial Assistance Application can be obtained from the resources section of our website or from the Volunteer Resource Center at vrc@gscm.org.

Q: What are the benefits of Girl Scout Camp?
A: Girls who attend Girl Scout Camp get to:

  • Make new friends
  • Enjoy the outdoors
  • Have fun!
  • Explore nature
  • Gain confidence
  • Learn new skills
  • Explore their interests through specialized sessions

Q: How do I know if my daughter is ready for resident camp?

  • Has she been away from home overnight?
  • Is she willing to live in an outdoor setting which includes night sounds, bugs, and using latrines?
  • Can she shower and maintain her personal hygiene?
  • Can she maintain, pack, and carry her own equipment?
  • Is she willing to perform kapers (chores) including: cleaning a latrine and living area, collecting firewood, and assisting with other daily living tasks?
  • Can she live and work with people of various diversities such as those of different races, religion, and socio-economic backgrounds?

The first and third sessions of camp is designed for the first time camper. It is a shorter week and allows for the camper to try out resident camp without making a commitment to a longer week.

Q: Who may attend Girl Scout resident camp?

A: Resident camp sessions are open to girls ages 6-17. Girls of all abilities and backgrounds are welcome. A $12 fee will be charged to non-members and applied to their Girl Scouts of the USA membership.

Q: How do we choose a camp session?

A: Read the program descriptions together and help your camper choose the one that best meets her interests, grade level and family’s needs. Use school grades for fall 2012 to determine the grade level requirement listed for each session.

Q: What are the facilities like?
A: While the camp is primitive in some aspects, it allows campers to connect with their natural surroundings. Campers live in Yurts, Glen Shelters, platform tents, teepees, or lodges. Since each unit has a different capacity and proximity to different activities, unit placements are not determined until immediately prior to each session. Within each unit are sleeping facilities, kitchen shelters, latrines, cold-water hand washing stations, and a campfire area. Each sleeping unit, other than when the campers are tent camping, is equipped with a cot and mattress for sleeping. Most units do not have electricity or flushable toilets. The air-conditioned dining hall, bathhouse, health center at Pax Tu and swimming pool areas boast modern facilities. Note: Staff members sleep in separate areas within the unit, but are centrally located within the unit to which they are assigned.

Q: Are medical exams required?

A: All girls are required to have a physical exam within 24 months of the start of the camp session. A current health history, signed by a physician, is required for participation and will be sent with your confirmation packet. Health forms from previous years of camp are not available as they are permanently stored upon closure of camp season.

Q: May we request to stay with a friend?

A: Yes! Girl Scout camp is about being with friends and making new friends. Girls may request to stay in the same living unit with one friend who is attending the same session. The two girls will be assigned to the same living space, but may be paired with other girls for activities throughout the camp session. Girls must put each other’s name on the registration form and register for the same session. To help girls make new friends, please limit your request to one friend. Requests for more than one friend cannot be honored.

Q: Can the camps accommodate special needs of campers?

A: Yes, girls with disabilities, health concerns or dietary needs, who can participate in camp activities with some assistance, are welcome and encouraged to register. To better serve the camper, prior notice of her needs is required. Please call the Outdoor Program Department at (410) 358-9711 if you have any questions. All information will be kept confidential.

Q: Is financial assistance available?

A: Yes! Financial assistance, based on need, is available to all registered Girl Scouts. The application must be submitted 45 days before the start of the program. The Financial Assistance Application (04-1121) can be obtained from the resources section of our website or from the Volunteer Resource Center at the Seton Service Center 410.358.9711 or 800.492.2521 or by emailing vrc@gscm.org.

Staff & Leadership

Q: Who are the summer camp staff and leadership?

A: Camp staff is a team of enthusiastic, talented and caring adults who come from all over the United States and around the world to spend a summer with Girl Scout campers. They are excited about having lots of fun at camp and teaching girls to grow strong! 

Resident Camp staff is recruited regionally and from around the world. We carefully select staff (who are all over the age of 18) from within the United States and abroad, such as England, Australia, Thailand, etc. It is our belief that a diverse staff offers girls of all ages the opportunity to meet people from near and far to learn more about themselves and people who are different from them.

Summer camp leadership includes:

Megan Hardy

Resident Camp Director

Q: What is the background of camp staff?
A: Applicants are required to undergo background, fingerprint and drug screening. Staff training includes first aid, safety and emergency procedures, outdoor skills, team building, how to work with homesick campers, understanding age level characteristics and Specialty program instructors (lifeguards, horse personnel) have extensive experience in their area of expertise. Adult staff to camper ratios adheres to Safety Wise standards and are: 1:6 for ages 6 to 8; 1:8 for ages 9 to 11; 1:10 for ages 12 to 14; and 1:12 for ages 15 to 17.


Q: Is bus transportation available for resident camp?
A: Yes, Bus service is provided from four locations to and from the camp at for an additional charge. Girls are transported on motor coaches from the following locations:

  • Baltimore City
    GSCM Urban Program & STEM Center
  • Towson
    Park & Ride, Exit 28: I-695 and Providence Road
  • Glen Burnie
    North County Recreation Center
  • Annapolis

    Annapolis High School

Specific drop-off and pick-up times will be sent in the confirmation packet. As each bus has a maximum of 46 riders, bus transportation is on a first come, first serve basis at time of registration. You will be notified in your confirmation packet as to your bus status.

A Typical Day at Camp
7 am Wake-up
8 am Flag Ceremony and Breakfast
9 am Kapers (Camp Chores)
9:30 am Activity Times
12 pm Lunch
1 pm Me Time (Rest Hour)
2 pm Activity Times
6 pm Flag Ceremony and Dinner
7 pm Activity Time
8:30 pm Unit Times or All Camp Activity
Note: This is a sample schedule and there may be changes to times or activities.

Q: How do I get to Camp Conowingo?
A: Visit out Camp Conowingo page for more information about the campground.

Directions to Camp Conowingo
Directions from I-95 North:
Take exit 80 for MD-543 toward Churchville (Turn left off of the ramp) go ~ 2.5 miles
Turn Right at Calvary Rd/MD-136 
go ~ 9.4 miles
At your second traffic light, turn Right onto Conowingo Rd/US-1 go ~ 7.3 miles
Turn left at Rock Spring Road/ US-222 go ~ 1.7 miles
Turn left at Old Conowingo Road (directly after yellow blinking light) go ~ 0.3 miles
Go through the 4-way Stop onto Pilot Town Road go ~ 1.3 miles
Turn Left at into the Shadowbrook Entrance go ~ 0.7 miles


Directions from US-1 North using I-695:
Take Exit 32B to merge onto Belair Rd/US-1 toward Bel Air go ~ 31 miles
Cross the Conowingo Dam and turn left on Rock Springs Rd/US-222 at the first traffic light
Follow the above directions from US-222

Q: What is the Camp Conowingo address?
A: 46 Shadowbrook Rd. Conowingo, MD 21918

Troop Camping

Q: Do volunteers need special training to go camping with girls?
A: Troop/group leaders must attend either a Let’s Go Camping or a Camping 101 Training session before going to camp. Find out more about these trainings on our Volunteer Training page (link to volunteer training page).

Q: What camps are available for troop camping?
A: Camp Conowingo, Camp Ilchester, Camp Woodlands, and Camp Whippoorwill are all available for troop camping at various points in the year. Visit our Facilities page (link to Facilities page) to learn more about each of our camps. Contact cadams@gscm.org to find out about camp availability.

Q: Where can I find rules and guidelines for Troop Camping?
A: Download the Guide to Council Properties (Link to Guide to Council Properties PDF) to find out about rules and guidelines for troop camping.




Website © 2012-2013 by Integrated Designs, Inc.